Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Building a Capsule Wardrobe


Capsule wardrobe seems to be a new and up-and-coming thing that I've recently just heard of. In case you've never heard of it yourself, let's define it: A capsule wardrobe consists of  a small collection versatile pieces that you love to wear and represent your style; tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes, and outerwear. 


One thing you need to know about a capsule wardrobe is that less is more. I am currently guilty of having a closet full of clothes, but absolutely nothing to wear. I'm hoping that building a capsule wardrobe myself will help me stop spending money on clothes that I never wear and save me some money in the long run. Another thing I love about the idea is that it will save me so much time on finding something to wear and not having to do so much laundry. As a lazy girl, having a capsule wardrobe is right up my street. 

Creating a capsule wardrobe can be a difficult thing to start, so I'm going to share some tips that I am using to help me get started. 

#1 Decide on a number. This just makes the planning process so much easier because you know how much you want to keep or how much you need to buy. Try keeping the number relatively small, like 30-50, since the whole point is for it to be a  "mini-wardrobe." 

#2 Find your style. Knowing your style is important because you aren't going to have as many clothes to choose from, so you need to like what you have. Figure out what you love to wear, what you feel comfortable in, and what reflects who you are. If you need to make a list of items that you cannot live with and want in your closet; denim shirt, tan booties, basic white tee, black leggings, etc. 

#3 Clean out your closet.  This might be the hardest part because it can be difficult to let go. I know that when I've cleaned out my closet in the past, I always tell myself that I will wear something, but never up doing it. To make it easier, take everything out of your closet and divide it up. 
  • Love pile: Anything that you would wear right now, keep. 
  • Maybe pile: Things that are sentimental, don't fit perfectly, or maybe cost too much money to just toss away. 
  • No pile: These are the clothes that you never wear, or haven't worn in the last six months. Donate, give to a friend, or just toss it out. 
  • Seasonal pile: This is the clothes that are out of season, but you will definitely still wear. So, out them in a storage bin and put in the basement. 
#4 Take inventory and go shopping. This is where making a list will come in handy. After you clean out your closet, figure out what you are going to need and go shopping for it. Make sure you stick to your list because you want to keep your wardrobe simple and small. Also make sure everything fits perfectly, so you'll be less likely to stop wearing it. 

Are any of you currently building a capsule wardrobe or want to build one?







No comments:

Post a Comment